The Sustainable Development Goals are an ambitious, bold, truly transformative set of goals that aspire to make the world a better place for all by combating poverty, hunger, illness, as well as social and environmental challenges. Achieving the SDGs will require an unprecedented level of commitment by all stakeholders—governments, international organizations, private sector and academia—aimed at finding new sustainable solutions for a flourishing, abundant world. The Global Action Forum, co-hosted annually by the Diplomatic Courier, Global Action Platform, and the International Development Law Organization, explored how the private sector is contributing to the 2030 Agenda through shared value strategies. At the Forum, the participants presented on how the SDGs and international business goals align and how leading companies are using Shared Value to create scalable and sustainable SDG solutions. MEETING PARTICIPANTS
- Ana C. Rold, CEO and Founder, Diplomatic Courier Magazine
- Scott Massey, Chairman and CEO, Global Action Platform
- Judit Arenas, Director, External Relations, International Development Law Organization
- Myron Brilliant, Executive Vice President, US Chamber of Commerce
- Justin Bakule, President, Shared Value Initiative
- Trevor Davies, Global Head, Center for Excellence for International Development Assistance Services, KPMG
- Katherine Pickus, Vice President, Abbott Fund
- Mehmood Khan, Chief Scientific Officer, Pepsi Co.
- Moderator: Fareed Zakaria, Host, Fareed Zakaria GPS
- What is the role of the private sector in the Sustainable Development Goals? How can it best contribute?
- What are the issues driving the private sector? What are the challenges facing the private sector?
- How do companies innovate in a way that secures their supply while also creating value?
- How can we focus investments to best shape the future of these issues?
- How can the private sector best help those at the bottom of the pyramid lift themselves up?
- How can businesses convince consumers about their role in the SDGs?
- How can businesses create the right narrative?
The views presented in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent the views of any other organization.